“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind,” Matthew 22:37-39. “If you judge people, you have no time to love them,” Mother Teresa. “All you need is love,” John Lennon. It may sound trite, but it is true! Love does no harm to self or others. Lately it seems to me that we are spending too much time judging and too little time loving. Judging comes from ignorance, hurt, or fear and is antithetical to Love. It is destructive of self and others and there is too much destruction in the world.
How can we move from a state of ignorance, hurt or fear? It isn’t easy, but it can be done. We can be transformed and in turn be happier.
1. Desire to Love. Choose to think and change – Make a conscious choice to think and behave in a different way even if it is initially an act. Step out in faith and it will become reality, a positive habit.
2. Act – Take an action to do something differently – give to a person in need, volunteer to help someone, forgive or pray for another, clean up your “side of the street”, reach out to connect personally with another, get to know someone who is different than you, pray to God, the Universe, or a Higher Power for self-healing and forgiveness, etc. Do a little at a time and soon it will change the way you think and act. Have no fear…what have you got to lose?
3. Repeat – do these things until they become a habit, become a part of you. It will change your life.
4. Self-examine – Ask yourself questions and honestly answer: What am I afraid of? Where did my hurt come from? Why am I threatened by others who are different? What good comes from my judging, anger, fear, hate, hurt, etc? Who do I need to forgive? Why do I hold onto old beliefs and behaviors that no longer serve me?
5. Let Go – Release negative, hurtful emotions to your Higher Power and trust you will get relief and healing. Release old behaviors and beliefs and replace with new, positive ones.
6. Be Open – Be alert to the people, events, and things that come into your life and touch you in positive ways. They are gifts. Be grateful. Expect good things. “What goes around comes around.” “You reap what you sow.” “Give and you shall receive.”
7. Repeat – This is a life-long process. Be patient, gentle and loving to yourself. Trust and be transformed. LOVE IS AN ACTION VERB. Peace, Joy and Love. Dr. Aquarius